Wednesday, July 28, 2010

WTH2O

Have you been down the water aisle in the supermarket lately? I know, right, a water aisle? But anyone who is or has ever tried to lose weight knows the importance of drinking water. Or staying hydrated, is I suppose the new term. Whatever. When I'm thirsty, I'm thirsty and that is that. I try to get all of my 8 glasses of water a day, but I gotta say some days it's a challenge. So I decided to conduct a little experiment of my own.
I took a proactive approach to the supermarket water aisle and decided to try, if not all, at least a whole freakin' lot of different waters. How many different kinds of water can there be, you ask? Well, I will tell you.

First I bought several different brands of plain old water flavored water and I feel good saying that, hold on to your hats here, there's really not that much difference in flavor. I'm really not a fan of bottled water for environmental reasons and at home rely on a refrigerator filtration system and reusable bottles. That will continue to be my favorite. I also like the Crystal Lite flavors that you can get to mix in with your 16-20oz bottle of water. Most of them are in the 5 calorie range with a few of the energy or metabolism or hunger varieties going up to 30 calories. Still a waaaay better choice than even diet pop.
Next I tried a few of the grocery store brand carbonated flavored waters. Pretty good and I will probably buy them again. I liked the flavors, especially the black cherry and the lemon lime, and since it's carbonated it fills in nicely for diet pop in a pinch.
Then I hit the newest craze of "fitness waters". SoBe life water I did not care much for, but to be fair I only tried the lemonade flavor and it had a definite herbal flavor that I found objectionable but not totally unpalatable. Some of the people I talked to really like this product, so I think it must be a matter of personal taste here.
Then I moved onto the Vitamin Water Zero. It had, believe it or not, zero calories and miracle of miracles actually tastes good. The flavors are really nice and refreshing and each one is geared with specific vitamins and minerals added towards a specific purpose. Like the go-go flavor with extra B vitamins for energy. I don't know if it really made a difference in my energy levels but it tasted nice and was easy to chug back during a super hot workout.
Now, I will admit to being sucked in by the whole O.N.E. coconut water craze. You've seen all the pictures of celebrities carrying it around in their skinny red-stringed wrists. I thought that they must be on to something and since it is an actual natural product with no additives or added sugar and sporting tons of natural electrolytes and more potassium than a banana, I figured this one would be a slam dunk. Especially when it was on sale at my local Kroger. $1 is a small price to pay for a taste of the good life, right? First let me say that O.N.E. coconut water tastes nothing like coconut, which is disappointing to say the least. What it does taste like, and I feel that I am not overstating things here, ice cold vomit. I could not even finish the whole 8oz carton and when I finally gave up I considered licking the dogs ass just to get the taste out of my mouth. Sorry, O.N.E. people, but I really really REALLY did not enjoy your product. I would have to be just this side of actual dehydration to ever consider putting that stuff in my mouth again, and even then I'd have to think about it.
The conclusion: Water is Water. Flavored is good, plain is even better, and if you get it out of your tap and put it in your own reusable bottle its the best. Now stop harping on how hydrated you are or need to be and shut up and drink your water.

5 comments:

  1. We LOVE the Vitamin Water Zero! Our faves are the lemonade and orange. Macy chugs it, and besides milk and watered-down organic juice, it's all she drinks. I really like getting the 4 packs, but they are smaller sized bottles than if you buy them individually for $1. Either way, we are big fans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you get them at sams you can get 12 for $11, but it's a variety pack so you might like some of the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fan of the Vitamin Water Zero...but my husband thinks it is NASTY!!! Of course, that's because he loves Propel...me too, but sometimes I gotta get away from the sweet and get a little kick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found a new water at The Fresh Market called Hint. It's got a (wait for it) hint of fruit flavor, but no sweeteners. I am a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that sounds good! I forgot to mention that I also tried the Menth water. They have flavors like ChocoMenth and MenthLemon or whatever. I tried the plain menth and they ain't a lyin'. It totally tasted like a menthol cigarette. Just what I'm looking for in a fitness water. Gross!

    ReplyDelete