Thursday, July 15, 2010

Two Things That Chapped Me Today and One Thing That Made Me Smile!

No, it really doesn't take all that much to make me mad. Anyone can tell you, I have a lot of anger issues and in order not to take my rage out on my family and friends, I sometimes have to take it out on unsuspecting restaurant hostesses, gas station attendants, and airport check-in clerks, just to name a few. But today was too damn much. Really, people, if you don't like it when I tell you that you're f-ing stupid - then don't be f-ing stupid.
I finally made it to the gym this morning and hour later than usual due to technical difficulties at home. I should have known that it was going to be one of "those" days, but I did not pay attention. There were only two other people in the gym, the owner and another lady and despite the techno gospel coming over the speakers I was thinking that it might turn out OK. WRONG! What I failed to recognize was the fact that the other lady had her children with her. And our gym does not offer day care. In fact, there is a sign posted on the door and several wall throughout the facility that clearly states that children are not prohibited. Evidently this lady was one of those special people to which the rules that the rest of us must follow just do not apply. All I can say is that she was "special" all right, and so were her kids.
I realize I'm being harsh, but, hey, you weren't there, OK. I will say that the disturbance was mostly limited to one specific kid. He was everywhere. Even after the owner had told both his mom and him that she was sorry, but he just wasn't allowed in there. (Evidently there had been complaints before today's incident) He proceed to haul himself to the computer and push every button on the keyboard. BTW, the mom is just blithely continuing her workout. The owner has to stop what she's doing, run over there, and basically pull the kid away from the computer before he wrecks something. "I was just gonna play some games," he says. "This computer doesn't have any games,"she explains, "It's only for members to track their workouts." The mom just laughs as the kid proceeds to throw a fit and slam out the glass doors almost breaking them. The owner and I just look at each other in amazement. Holy crap!
Listen, I get it. My own workout suffers in the summer for lack of a babysitter. But here's the thing and it's very simple. My gym does not offer child care, ergo if I do not have a babysitter I do not go. Yes, it sucks. But it would suck way more for my kids to destroy the gym and all it's equipment while I laughingly continued my workout. Not that such a thing would ever happen. My kids know how to behave. Grrrr!
Then I get home and turn on my trusty time suck computer and what greets me but doom and gloom. According to a study by Northwestern University School of Medicine women who have more fat deposits around their hips and butts are more likely to develop memory loss later in life. What the heck. First they tell us that if we have excess weight around our middles, we are more at risk for heart disease and now if we have big asses we're doomed to dementia. Huh? Can't a girl have a little junk in her trunk anymore? I suppose that the bad news is that I'll probably have a heart attack at some point, but the good news is that I probably won't remember it. "So I've got that goin' for me, which is nice."
And finally for the one bright shining point of light in my day so far. And it's a biggie! After several weeks that scale has finally made a decidedly downward turn. I have gained and lost the same 3-4 pounds for months now, but now it appears that I have broken through and things are looking up again. Or should I say, at least as far as weight is concerned, down.

No comments:

Post a Comment