Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Summertime Blues

Today is June 2. That means that in my hometown it is the last day of school. I took my kids to school this morning and all the teachers were walking around with a slightly dazed but wondrous look on their faces. Like they couldn't believe they were actually being released from jail. The kids, naturally, were nuts. It was like some deranged zookeeper had fed all the howler monkeys Red Bull. Crazy! But, alas, all I could feel was dread.
Now, don't get me wrong, I am very much looking forward to spending more time with my kids and going on vacation and generally just living easy for the next couple of months. But I can't help but wonder - 'what is all this easy living going to do to my diet?' I hate using the word diet, because I have tried very hard not to be on one. I think that just by putting yourself on a diet you are setting yourself up for failure because eventually you are going to have to go off that diet. But I have used the word here for lack of a better term.
I suppose what I have really accomplished over the last few months is a new way of eating, and living too, I suppose. And, not to pat myself on the back too much, but I'm pretty proud of myself. Sure I have lost weight very (very) slowly. But I have also built more muscle and exercise endurance and I have gotten my body to the point that if I happen to have a glass of wine or a piece of birthday cake, I don't instantly gain five pounds. To me that's pretty awesome. But now I'm wondering, 'Is it all for naught? Is all the hard work I've put in over the past six months going to be lost over a few weeks of laziness?"
Summertime is hard on a diet. It means ice cream on the deck, and hot dogs and hamburgers, and family reunions with grandma's fried chicken, and margaritas by the pool, and the most hated of all summer diet killers - sweet tea. So what's a girl to do?
I am really afraid that the relaxed rules of the summer are going to tempt me to relax the rules of my 'diet' before I've reached my goal. I am used to getting up every morning and getting the kids ready for school then hitting the gym and then doing a 2 mile walk a few times a week to boot. It eventually became part of my schedule and a natural part of my day. I'm worried now that since I will have to make arrangements for my kids so that I can go work out (and to be honest my family and friends have been really supportive in this - but still) I will be tempted just to blow it off. How do I stay motivated when everything around me is screaming at me to take it easy?
As bad as I hate to I guess I'm just going to have to buy a clothes rack so I can start hanging my laundry on something besides my treadmill. Oh, I do hate that thing. Whoever said that the road to hell is paved with good intentions was wrong. The road to hell is on a treadmill!

No comments:

Post a Comment