Monday, July 13, 2009

Back in the World

Well, I'm back from vacation. Actually I was back a week ago, but it's taken me this long to figure out how to get back in the swing of things. Have you ever noticed that? That you often need a vacation from your vacation. And boy was this a vacation. Over a period of two weeks my husband and I drove 3,300 miles and spent about 44 hours in the truck. I could tell you where all the best rest areas and gas stations are all across the mid-west. Unfortunately I could also tell you where you can get the best doughnuts, deli sandwich, cheese curds what have you.
But finally I'm home. I thought that it would be relatively easy to get back in the groove. Not so much. Thankfully I (somehow) managed to not gain any weight while gone. I didn't lose any either (I was averaging about 3lbs/week) but a vacation is a vacation after all. However I also realized that I hadn't cooked and actual meal in three weeks. Turkey sandwiches and salads don't count. What's more I didn't even want to cook, which I usually love. It was like I'd left my whole identity in the U.P. I didn't really know who or what I was. Damn this summer limbo!
So I did the only thing I could think to do. I went to the grocery store. Now, of course I had been in the grocery store while on vacation. But my list was more like grapes to go with the cheese to go with the wine, some nice crusty bread, wine, and charcoal to cook the beer brats. So I re-introduced myself to my favorite neighborhood grocery store. Spent some time in the produce section. Loitered near the fresh fish. Cruised the perimeter and filled my cart with fresh healthy items. And the best part was, when I got home, I really didn't feel like I was missing all that much. Sure I enjoyed the beers and wine and cheese and brats, but I really didn't miss them all that much. I was too busy enjoying the fresh blueberries that were on sale. Love them. And the Homemade pizza margharita I made using fresh ripe tomatoes, spinach, and a little bit of Parmesan cheese and a tiny bit of mozzarella to hold it all together. We've made breakfast burritos with whole wheat tortillas, turkey sausage, egg whites and all the fresh peppers and onions you can hold.
So I think I've finally gotten it. I think I'm over the vacation slump. Now if I can just figure out how to get my mojo back at the gym . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment