Friday, June 18, 2010

Stuck Between a Peach Pit and a Hard Place

Where I live is rural. We're talking pipe-in-the-sunshine rural. You ever heard that Mark Twain saying? "When the end of the world happens, I want to be in Kentucky because they are always 20 years behind the rest of the world." Well, it's true. And my small corner of it is even further behind than that. I love my local grocery store and feel that it's just as important to buy local as it is to buy organic, but organic isn't even in my stores vocabulary. They've finally gotten on the whole grains bandwagon but times are slow to change.
I'm thankful for my local farmers market where I can fulfill both my local and organic obligations. But I can't do all my shopping at a fruit stand. Even I get sick of farm-fresh peaches after a while. A very long while, but still.
So here's my dilemma. When I really need to stock up do I drive the extra miles (and use the extra gas) to go to the really good grocery store that carries all my produce and frozen favorites? Or do I stick local, thereby saving time and gas, but probably paying a little more and maybe not getting what I want? The time spent works out about the same by the time I have to go to two or three places to fill my list in town as opposed to one stop out of town.
So far I've been able to stock up when I'm already going out of town for Dr.'s appointment and the like. But it's summertime and the livin' is supposed to be easier. I want to lay by the pool not spend all my time in my mom-wagon super cool SUV driving all over hell and half of Georgia looking for local-grown organic leaf lettuce.
So what does everyone else do? Do you stock up or buy as you need? Do you prefer organic or local? Or do you think I'm off my rocker for even devoting this amount of time to it?

2 comments:

  1. I try to buy local, but got tired of the poor selection. I still run down there to get something I need quickly, but I'm a big-store shopper. Every weekend. There is a much better selection of organic meats and produce. And the organic bandwagon is something I'm not afraid to jump on. I enjoy the farmer's market, too. But I rarely catch them on the right days. I figure if the local supermarket wants to keep our business, they'll keep up with the times. I hate to be that way, but my child deserves fresh, healthy food that isn't full of antibiotics or covered in pesticides. And if I have to drive 30 minutes to get it, I will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh the benefits of living in a 'large' city.. Theres at least 8-10 different farmers markets around,a Kroger 5 min from my house and locally owned organic grocery stores! Yes Im still a big girl but a big girl who eats organic yogurt with organic granola and proud of it!

    ReplyDelete