Saturday, May 8, 2010

All By Myself. . .Don't Wanna Be All By Myself Anymore

As a stay-at-home mom of two very active and loudly opinionated kids I spend a lot of my time fantasizing about what I would do if I actually had a weekend to myself. No kids, no husband, just me. Now, don't get me wrong. I love my kids (and Hubs too, I guess), but come on. What mom hasn't fantasized about a big ol' bubble bath, some wine, a good book, maybe a girlie movie or some such foolery - and NO ONE to share it with. The problem is, I never really expected to get it.
My kids left yesterday and all I can think about is a quote from Spock (you know, the Vulcan. Star Trek). "Having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. It is highly illogical, but often true." Don't ask me why I know a quote from Star Trek. I don't know. I suspect that Spock actually lifted the quote from someone else. But that's beside the point. The point being that I had built up this dream weekend in my head and the reality just kind of, well. . .sucks.
I spent last night with my best girl friends and it was sooooo much fun. Let me just say that if you have never gotten all dressed up in your fanciest clothes and gone to eat at a truck stop with eight of your best, and similarly dressed, friends - you don;t know the fun you're missing. But after the last friend left my house at midnight last night, and all the wine glasses had made their way to the sink, and all the trash in the cans, I just kind of sighed in boredom. There were no babies to check on, no alarm to set, not even a hubby to snuggle up with.
I decided that I would no waste today. It has been a gift to have this time alone and I am going to use it to my advantage. Sooo, I made a list of things I wanted to accomplish today. Go to gym - check. Wrap mothers day presents - check. Make green bean salad for mothers day cookout - check. Do my extra 30 minutes of cardio - check. Bath the dog - check. Do a load of delicates - check. By this point it was only 1:00. No lie. WTH? Why is it that I can barely get half this stuff done before bedtime when the kids are here?
So I went to WalMart. Big mistake. Huge huge mistake. It is not too far removed from the first of the month and it's the last day before mothers day. Let's just say that the website http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/ is not just a novelty. As with most cliches, there is always truth behind them. I think I saw the third woman down in aisle 3.
So now I'm home. It's still only 5:00. I think I'll see what's on TV and then maybe take that bubble bath that sounded so good previously. I have at least learned something from this whole episode though. You know how you see dogs chasing cars and you wonder what they would do with it if they caught it. I know. Evidently they would do the same thing I have done all day. Stand around scratching their heads going, "Well, hmmph. Now what?"

No comments:

Post a Comment